Thursday, October 9, 2014

Whats my uncles age.

Puzzle:
I was visited my uncle.On my visit i met his friend as well.
I asked him what is their age.
My uncle replied saying,
the difference between their ages is 30 and if we multiply their ages it 1624.
What are their ages?


Note: Don't forget to visit us again. Answer to the puzzle will be posted tomorrow with winner's name. You can provide your answer in comments.
Solution:

Lets assume the age of two uncles is x and y
based on the conditions

x-y=30
xy=1624 --->y=1624/x
by substituting second equation into the first one

x-1624/x=30

multuply by x on  both sides

x2 -1624=30x
x2-30x-1624=0
this is a quadratic equation.like ax2+bx+c=0 the roots can be found by using the formula
you can follow the link on how to solve the equation http://www.wikihow.com/Solve-Quadratic-Equations

only positive root of the equation is 58.

so tha ages are 58 and 28
 Corrected My Answer:






Winner:Nithya is the Winner

1 comment: